Headline »

22/05/2018 – 6:21 pm


Watch this space, we hope to bring you all some big news very shortly !

Read the full story »
General News

All News related to the Dragons

Match Reports

Our view on previous fixtures.


The latest news on ins-and-outs

Inside The Den

Exclusive interviews from inside the den


Promotions and News from our sponsors.

Home » Featured, General News, Headline

Dragons Put Warriors To The Sword

Submitted by on 15/03/2017 – 10:19 am

The Den was rocking on Sunday night when the Dragons Ice Hockey club hosted high flying Whitley Bay Warriors in this vital league one encounter. With only three games left in the season the Dragons were faced with three “cup finals” to retain their status in the top tier of the National Ice Hockey League.

As always, the Dragon Supporters had answered the call and packed The Den, to create a boisterous and partisan atmosphere. With the pre-game heat turned up to 10, by face off, the whole arena knew they were in for a special night of ice hockey.

With the Dragons, regular net minder Denis Bell out injured, rookie goalie Jonah Armstrong was back in net. He looked to be in trouble when the Warriors first shot took a deflection to give the visitors a lead, but the early set back seemed to strengthen the 16- year-old goalies resolve, as he and the rest of the team were sparked to life.

Leading from the front player coach Scott McKenzie soon had the Dragons level and at the mid-way point in the first period added a superb second to give the home team the lead. Slovakian sensation Filip Supa and skipper Snipper Parsons added two more to finish an end to end first period 4-1 to the Dragons.

The Warriors came out hard in the second period. The Dragons had let their tempo and finishing fall from the frantic first period and on 28 minutes the Warriors grabbed a second goal. But with an almost immediate response from terrier like Andy Chapel, and heroics from the home net minder, we saw the period end even and the Dragons take a 5-2 lead into the final period.

In to the third period and the increasingly desperate Warriors were beginning to tire. Superb solo breakaway goals from Geoff Wigglesworth and Snipper Parsons put the game out of reach. A frustrated Warriors started to give up penalties and in the 54th minute the massive crowd went berserk as man of the match Captain Snipper Parsons completed his hat trick to make the score 8-2.

Shortly after this a clash between the Warriors veteran enforcer Andre Payette and the Dragons 16-year-old D-Man Louis Morgan, left the Dragons player down on the ice. Immediate medical attention was sought for a head and neck injury and with the player unable to be moved, the game was called. Following a thorough check up at hospital, Morgan was discharged feeling very sore but with no permanent injury.

This impressive win gives the Dragons hope and they move on to their final home game of the season, a Mother’s Day special event on 26th March, 5.30 face off. Fans are encouraged to arrive early for this very special game day, when the Dragons host league champions Solway Sharks in this vital league clash. Several special treats are planned for mums and supporters will also be able to meet the players on the ice following the final buzzer. The Dragons will also be launching their early bird 2017/2018 Season Ticket offer.

Hopefully if we can raise enough money, player coach Scott McKenzie is willing to shave off his beloved and grotesque ginger beard to raise funds for funeral costs, following the sad and unexpected passing of Malcolm Singletons daughter. You can donate by visiting the Just Giving site on social media.